Product Auditors, Corporate Banking Relationship Managers and Geologist Engineers are just three of the professionals sought by employers as new job creation and candidate movement fuel job market activity, says recruiting experts Hays in China.
According to the recruiter’s latest Hays Quarterly Hotspots list of skills in demand, staff movement is creating vacancy activity as people decide to change employers.
“Steady growth and new jobs resulting from the upward trend of foreign direct investment into China are creating an active recruitment market,” says Simon Lance, Regional Director of Hays in China.
“We are also seeing a lot of vacancy activity as a result of the need to replace departing staff. Employers will act fast if an employee leaves a business critical role.
“This movement of candidates onto the jobs market to explore their options and change employers to improve their prospects is also adding to an active market.
“In addition a number of organisations are expanding their existing operations hubs in China, which is adding to job creation.
“We are also being contacted by employers who are working on new hiring plans for next year. Many newly created roles are expected shortly in these organisations, and most of these will be permanent as employers are focused on securing top talent.”
According to Hays, employers continue to value candidates with overseas work experience combined with Chinese work experience. “Chinese and English language capabilities are important for all levels,” says Simon.
“Employers are competing fiercely for the top talent as more of their competitors establish themselves in China.”
A selection of skills in demand in China from the Hays Quarterly Hotspots (October to December) follows:
- Product Auditors – Stricter regulations regarding internal audit and control of foreign banks means that most banks will hire Product Auditors to enhance their business performance and minimize risk.
- Finance Managers – This is a critical role. Given that Finance Managers handle all aspects of financial management, departing staff are immediately replaced and these skills are sought for expansions, meaning demand is consistently high.
- Tax Accountants/Managers – Tax policy is changing and needs to be interpreted by professionals. Most multinational companies will hire such professionals to communicate with the tax bureau, minimize tax risk and reduce unnecessary tax payments.
- Interior Designers and Project Managers – Interior Designers and Project Managers with retail, mixed use and hospitality experience are sought given the high number of these developments in China.
- Revit - Candidates with working knowledge of the design software Revit are also in high demand.
- Equity Analysts – The investment banking industry is recovering and needs more Equity Analysts as more M&A deals are done.
- Corporate Banking Relationship Managers – Most foreign banks derive their revenue from providing corporate banking services. The Relationship Manager is at the forefront of client attraction and retention. As this continues to be the main focus area for most foreign banks, skilled professionals are in high demand.
- Project Managers, HVAC and MEP Managers and Construction Managers – These professionals are sought to work on new building projects, including shopping malls, hotels, resorts and retail stores. Given that candidates are strongly motivated to change jobs while in the middle of a project, employers want candidates with a history of seeing their projects through to completion.
- Centre Managers – Language schools are expanding and looking for candidates from different industries who possess a broad range of experience.
- Subject Teachers – There is a shortage of qualified and native English candidates. Schools are having difficulty finding good candidates.
- Core Java Developers – There is a consistent need in the finance technology space for offshore teams to build performance critical server side technology. The China market offers a cost efficient option compared to more expensive on-shore developers in cities like New York, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Sydney.
- HR Business Partners – HR is increasingly being performed as a business partner role. HRBP is a trend expected to continue in the coming years.
- Learning and Development Managers – Most companies in China perceive talent development as very important as it plays a vital role in organisation development. As a result, Learning & Development Managers are in high demand.
- MS Infrastructure Specialists – Demand for this role will increase as many large-scale MNCs launch big changes in their systems or build up their data centres.
- Network Analysts – There is currently a shortage of Network Analysts in South China.
- Medicinal Chemistry Principal Scientists – This function remains one of the hot areas due to the demand for novel drugs.
- Biology Principal Scientists – This role is the same as in the Medicinal Chemistry sector, and is one of the pioneering and front functions studying and researching novel drugs.
- Senior Technical/R&D Engineers – There is a real shortage of candidates for this position as most companies only have manufacturing plants in China. However many companies have been building up their R&D centres in China recently, so demand is increasing.
- Operation Directors in the plant – Good management skills, familiarity with products and a good fit with the foreign company's culture is desired by MNCs. Yet there is a shortage of suitable candidates in China.
- Leasing Managers, Asset Managers, Contract Managers and Property Investment Fund Managers – These professionals are sought in response to the number of new building projects in China, such as shopping malls, hotels, resorts and retail stores.
- Geologist Engineers – These highly sought after candidates have specialist skills that enable the exploration of potential oil and gas wells. Yet there is a shortage of suitable candidates.
- Communications Managers and Directors - Companies are investing more in public relations in order to build up their brand name globally and fundamentally within China’s complicated environment.
- Digital Marketing Managers - Digital and new media are hot channels for corporate marketing activities in China. As a result, Digital Marketing Managers are sought.
Hays, the world’s leading recruiting experts in qualified, professional and skilled people.
- Ends -
For further information please contact Kathy Lou, Kathy.Lou@hays.cn
Hays is the leading global specialist recruiting group. It is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide.
Hays Specialist Recruitment (Shanghai) Co., Limited ("Hays China") operates across the public and private sector, dealing in permanent positions. Hays China’s eighteen specialisms span Accountancy & Finance, Banking, Architecture, Construction, Education, Engineering, Executive, Finance Technology, Human Resources, Hays Resource Management, Information Technology, Insurance, Life Sciences, Manufacturing & Operations, Oil & Gas, Property and Sales & Marketing.
Hays China operates four local offices in Shanghai, Beijing, Suzhou and Guangzhou. It is the local representative office for Hays plc, which is a global company with more than 7,840 staff operating from 239 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms.
Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA.